Monday, August 6, 2012

BEDAugust 6

All I want to do is go to sleep. It's been a REALLY long day and I have an equally long day ahead of me. Yet, instead of drifting happily off to dreamland I'm here, writing words. Why, you ask? Why do I subject myself to such torture? Because I vowed to do BEDA, and I don't give up on my goals very easily.

It's funny, cause earlier today I had a great idea for this miscellaneous Monday, but whatever that idea was has completely slipped from my mind. It's probably off playing with all the ideas I had for those stories I never bothered to finish. They're all having a jolly time running around and laughing at my idea-less existence. If only I could wrangle them up and put them to work. I imagine this blog would be much more interesting for everyone involved if I could do that. Of course I can't, so I'm going to settle for some simple blogging instead.

Today I went to Universal with Amber and Lauren. It was an interesting experience for me. As I walked around with them I realized how commonplace the entire resort had become to me. I knew where to go without looking, I could avoid the crowds instinctively, and I knew what rides to hit when to make sure we could get as much done as possible. I also noticed that I didn't pay as much attention to the little things anymore. I didn't read the things in line like I used to, been there, done that. I also got frustrated by 30 minute waits, being there in slow season spoiled me. Seeing it through their eyes reminded me of all of the things I'd forgotten were so amazing. I was able to recapture a bit of that wonder.

I started to think about why I'd lost it in the first place. It wasn't like I was tired of the park, I still choose to go there on my days off. I didn't think any of it was dumb or boring, it was just...home. It's like how you never notice the things on the shelves in your house cause they've always been there. Sure, they mean something to you, but you don't study them and think about those things everyday. That's how I feel about Universal. The park is wonderful and it means something to me, but in the day to day I don't pay too much attention to what's on the shelf. I use the shelf for the things I need and move on. I live there, it's home, and nothing about home is terribly exciting.

For Amber and Lauren, however, everything was new. The park was filled with shiny objects and they were excited to explore every single one. The knick knacks that had been sitting on my shelf forever (metaphorically speaking) where sparkling and new and exciting to them. The best part is that the excitement is contageous. Once they got excited I would also get excited. I let their energy feed me until I could pretend that I was experiencing everything for the first time as well. With that attitude a fun day in the park became and amazing day with friends.

Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment