Saturday, January 22, 2011

Week Three is Almost Over!

I would be lying if I said I forgot that I needed to blog this week, because "BLOG" has been staring accusingly at me from my planner all week long. Yet even the use of bold black pen and all capital letters couldn't seem to make me get on the computer and actually type something out to my lovely invisible readers. Honestly, since I know that barely anyone reads this you figure that it wouldn't be that hard to write something, but it is. I have no idea what YOU want, nonexistent reader. I know nothing about you. Do you like the same things I like? Are you interested in the fact that I'm watching Buffy and I spend a large part of my morning watching YouTube videos? Do you even know what YouTube is? If I don't know anything about you, how can I deliver the information you'd be interested in? Invisible nonexistent readers really are the most difficult to write for.

Recently I've been throwing some fiction from my courtship with 750words.com up here for you to peruse and ignore as you see fit, but I haven't written any fiction in the last week. That leaves me with an unusual predicament. Do I make up a story right now on the spot or do I actually talk about my life? *gasp* I realize that the idea of hearing about my actual life must be terribly shocking to you, and I can't promise that you won't die of boredom, but alas I'm out of entertaining ideas, so we are forced to enter the realm of the mundane. Venture ahead if you dare, dear reader. Here have a torch to light the way. If it all gets too mundane and boring you can always light your computer on fire.

This week has been different for me, but no so different as to be terribly interesting I'm sure. Iowa State University (where I go to college and study Econ; did I mention how fascinating I am?) hosted KCACTF which are a group of letters that I rarely remember in the correct order that basically come together to mean the campus was filled with talented theater people doing what talented theater people do. Mostly, this consisted of people having screaming matches in the halls that turned out to actually be scene rehearsals (still a little embarrassed about that one) and lots and lots and lots of shows and workshops for me to attend. Since ISU was hosting I spent a fair amount of time volunteering* my time to help moderate workshops and usher at shows.

I was able to find a little bit of time to see the shows that I was interested in and attend some play writing workshops. The performances that I was able to attend were Richard III, Godspell, The Odyssey and Las Hermanas Padillas. That last one was actually a staged reading of the one act play that won last year's KCACTF competition. I loved each of the plays in their own way, but The Odyssey was probably my favorite. The simple sets and the use of bodies were really well done and it's a story that I have a great love for. Myths, legend, and fairy tales have always been of great interest to me and I enjoy having a chance to see them performed.

I also attended both the one act and ten minute play festivals, which showcase plays written by KCACTF students. Some of them I enjoyed and some of them bored me almost to tears, but all of them taught me something. I got ideas from the ones I loved and learned what to avoid from the ones I didn't. Watching them also made me realize that I wish I'd known about and entered the competition. I'm not saying that I would have won, but it would have been interesting to see how I did compared to the other contestants. Watching them all really inspired me to get back into play writing, and I hope to write a ten minute play for a competition I heard about in one of my workshops. Plus, I could use something to do in my videos in later months.

That's just a brief overview of my week. If you just imagine waking up at 6:30 each morning, going to bed around midnight each night, and cramming in volunteering, some classes, performances, and workshops each day; then you have a pretty good idea of what my week was like. If you've ever been to a Potter conference, just imagine that lasting for six days and you know exactly how I feel. Now I'm going to get some sleep.

Till I next fail at failure.

*By volunteer I mean forced to work most of the conference for no pay except a single banana. Chimps at the zoo get at least two.

1 comment: