Friday, June 1, 2012

June 1st

It's Friday, which means a review, but first I want to talk a bit about May & June goals.

May Goals
1) Write 750 words a day (check)
2) Make two videos for channel (check)
3) Read a book (I believe a 400 page fanfiction counts)
4) Save $200 (check)
5) Write Wrockbox show (yeah, so maybe this will never happen)
6) Finalize ALL Ascendio scheduling (check)
7) Make shot list for three music videos (nope)
8) Read or cancel all magazines (check)
9) Spend less than $300 on credit card (nope)
10) Clean out my living space (check)

7 out of 10, not bad.

June Goals
1) Write 750 words every day
2) Post one video on each channel
3) Save $200
4) Make shot list for one music video
5) Figure out where I'm living July 7th
6) Read a book (or a novel length fanfiction)
7) Figure out AV for Ascendio
8) Make sure everything is ready for Ascendio
9) Spend less than $400 on credit card
10) Keep up with YouTube/Hulu/Magazines

I've decided to review Snow White and the Huntsman. I got to see a special preview of it last night. The movie is out for everyone now, so I don't feel bad reviewing it here. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the movie is.

THERE WILL BE SPOILERS

For those who don't know Snow White and the Huntsman is a retelling of Snow White starring Kristen Stewart as Snow White, Chris Hemsworth as the Huntsman, and Charlize Theron as Ravenna (the evil Queen). I would say it's a little closer to the original tale than the Disney version most people are familiar with. Naturally, I was super excited to see the film, as I have an incredible love for fairy tales and fairy tale retellings. I'd already seen Mirror, Mirror (the other Snow White adaptation to grace the silver screen this year) which was a comedy, so I was interested to see a more serious take on the tale.

From the instant the screen lit up to the closing credits, I was impressed with what I saw. The visual effects were fascinating and very well done. Ravenna had an army of soldiers that were made of shards of glass, and when they were attacked they shattered into pieces. Watching swords slice through glass soldiers was fascinating. Then there was the mirror that flowed like a liquid, the giant troll, the forest filled with things with eyes, the fairies that burst from squirrels, the butterflies that formed into beings. I was entranced by everything that passed across the screen.

Which is not to say that the movie was only visually stunning and had no other redeeming qualities. I enjoyed the plot quite a lot. As a fairy tale fan I'm familiar with the original versions of the stories as well and I was excited to see some of those elements involved in this story. I liked that Snow White wasn't the innocent child she's often portrayed as, she had heart and a better view of the world. I also loved that she didn't just fall for the handsome prince who thought she was beautiful, who in this story was a boy she'd known as a child. Instead she lost her heart to the huntsman who first set out to kill her and then eventually taught her to fight and helped her defeat the Queen. I felt a little bad for the poor Prince, but honestly the Huntsman was a better choice.

I also thought that the way they treated Ravenna and the lore surrounding her was unique and interesting. She was the villain, but was not a wholly evil being. She was manipulated by her mother and taught that power was the only way to stay happy. She gained youth and beauty by sucking it out of others, it was the power and curse granted to her by the mirror. By the end of the movie you felt sad for her, although you knew she was too far gone to be saved. Charlize did a fantastic job portraying all sides of that character and made every side completely believable.

I liked that Snow started a war (of sorts) rather than the Queen simply dying. It makes both characters stronger. I also liked the way the dwarves were treated, and that they had their own lore and powers. The addition of a prophecy of sorts, and a fairies was a nice touch. If you like fairy tales, then I'd recommend Snow White and the Huntsman.

Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment