Monday, June 4, 2012

June 4th

There is a list about as long as my arm of stuff that I need to be doing, but I'm just tired and I want to write my 750 words and go to sleep. The list will just have to sort itself out later. It will, I have faith in my abilities, but it's not happening right now.

While I procrastinate on all that I guess I'll try and entertain you with my remaining 600 or so words. Well, perhaps bore you into mindless submission might be be a more accurate description. But you must read this for a reason, so I'll just have to continue to hope that you enjoy my dry wit and my fantastic grasp of the narrative language. That or this blog is so terrible that reading it is similar to watching a car crash, it's bad for you but you just can't help yourself. Leave me a comment and let me know which way you feel.

Now that I've sufficiently padded my word count with an ample amount of content-less fluff, I guess I'll move on to things you might actually want me to talk about, like work and this wedding that I went to yesterday. Or I could continue with nonsense until you quit reading it and then proceed to repeat a single word over and over to reach 750 because I know that no one is actually paying attention anyway...but I would never do that. I value you too much as a reader...I promise...for now.

Yesterday was the wedding of my apartmate Sara to her boyfriend/fiance/crush Chris. The ceremony was outside in a lovely park, and the reception was just across the way in a different, but equally lovely, park. The wedding was very DIY, with Chris and Sara (and Meg and I a bit) doing everything from decorating the venue, to making the cake, to arranging the flowers, to creating all the centerpieces and more. I was Maid of Honor (wearing a dress I got to pick myself, which was wonderful of Sara), so I had quite a list of duties day of. It might have been a little insane, but I wouldn't have changed a minute of it.

Beginning at 8am Sara and I went out to the parks to set up everything. We (with help from Sara's family when they arrived) rearranged the picnic tables in the pavilion, swept the area, decorated the ceiling with hanging paper flowers, curly paper vines, and lots of draping fabric. We also covered the tables with the rented cloths and laid out all the centerpieces and cameras and props. We got the food and gift tables ready to be filled when the time arrived and then headed over to the actual ceremony space. Over there we set up chairs, hung fabric for an aisle, and arranged items on the small stage where the ceremony would take place. Then it was time to vacate the premises so that Chris could come in and do his part of the setup (he of course wasn't allowed to see Sara).

We returned to the apartment where it was time to get hair and makeup done by one of Sara's friends. I was the lucky girl who got to go first because there were some other things that I needed to handle before the wedding began. I got my hair braided and curled, put on my dress, let Meg convince me to wear eye shadow, and then headed out to drive Chris to the hotel where he was supposed to change. After he felt prepared we headed over to the park to make the final preparations (like setting out drinks and ice and food) before Sara and the rest of the wedding guests arrived. Once everything was finally set it was time for the actual ceremony to begin.

The wedding, which began around 4:30, was simple and beautiful. We walked down the aisle and then the wedding party sat in the front row while Chris and Sara exchanged rings and vows and bows. Sara looked absolutely stunning and everyone cried. Once the recessional was finished it was time for everyone to make quick work of cleaning up the ceremony site and loading up the chairs. Then the guests headed over to the reception area (now complete with food and cake) while the wedding party wandered the park and took hundreds of lovely photos. I can't wait to see how they all turn out because I believe they will be quite stunning.

When picture taking was over the newly wedded couple were presented at the reception. There was a lot of cheering, a lot of toasting, a fair bit of kissing, and truly incredible amount of cake. Everyone had a wonderful time and it was truly a place of extreme happiness. After people started to say their goodbyes it was time to clean up the reception area and pack everything away to bring back to the apartment. By the time I arrived home (alone, as the wedded couple had other engagements) and unpacked it was about 10pm. All in all it was a day well spent.

Now I'm not saying that the wedding went flawlessly. Like any event it had it's share of hiccups, but we handled them all. The truth is that when it comes to the nitty gritty of getting things done when it all seems to be falling apart, that's where I excel. I love the rush of running around and doing a hundred different things to make sure that whatever is going on is the best it can be. That's what I want to do with my life, and I wouldn't have changed a thing about the day even if I could. Besides, as I was fond of reminding everyone yesterday, as long as the wedding has a bride, a groom, and an officiator it's a success; everything else is just bonus. Well, except maybe cake, for me cake is as necessary as any other element.

Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment