Wednesday, May 9, 2012

May 9th

I'm once again blogging late at night, but not because I worked late, because I actually went out. If you've spent any time around me since I moved to Florida you'd probably be shocked by this. Not that I was ever the "go out" type, but I used to at least go to movies, or bowling, or dancing every couple of weeks. Since I moved to Florida my life has basically become work, sleep, work, eat, work, internet, work, D&D, work, Disney, work. I think I've seen six movies since I moved ten months ago and two of those I saw when my dad visited. I used to go see at least one movie every week when I was up at college. I miss movies.

Tonight, though, I decided to break the streak. I went to City Walk with a bunch of people that I work with. We played mini golf at this incredible new golf course that Universal built. It's got a total of 36 holes (two 18 hole courses), and it's intense. One of the courses is alien invasion themed and the other is haunted house themed. They're pretty elaborate. Our group decided to play the alien invasion course, where there are things like crop circles, cows being abducted, a battle in area 51, and a wormhole at the 18th hole that means the hole itself actually spins. I don't mini golf often so my strategy was set the ball down randomly and swing hard. Naturally, I scored the most points, which means I win right? At least that's the way it works in every other sport I ever played.

After golf we went out dancing at some of the clubs. I had a complete blast. I love dancing and going with a bunch of friends makes it even more fun. And the best part is that no one mentioned that I dance like a serious nerd. I'm not kidding about this. You know how the nerds in movies always sorta just shift their weight, snap, sway, and move their arms? We'll I've turned those moves into an art form. I'm also known for tossing my hair and jumping up and down like I'm at a rave. It was good exercise and it was a ton of fun. There's actually a karaoke bar at City Walk as well, but we didn't make it over there before I decided that my I'd probably danced off enough weight for one evening.

Before all the late night craziness all I did was work. I had a really good day at work though. I was Scarab, which is basically a sort of gopher for the leads. It was my job to give bathroom breaks, or bump people that the supervisors needed to speak to, or update the wait time, or clean the queue, or walk up the VIP guests, or whatever else the lead needed done but didn't have time to get to. I love the fact that the role is a lot of rushing around doing varied and crazy things. It's a lot of "go, go, go" and I love that. That feeling is why I do insane things like an online musical or become chair of informal programming for a conference, I love the rush of having to run around doing 100 things at once. Of course going back to normal rotation tomorrow where I repeat the same routine for 15-45 minutes before I switch positions and do a different routine for 15-45 minutes will be kind of a let down.

On the exciting side I got a release date to move to guest services! Hopefully when the schedule comes out tomorrow I will be scheduled training at guest services! I found out that I'm actually going to be making quite a bit more money, about a 33% increase. It doesn't seem like a lot more in the grand scheme of things (only actually a couple of dollars), but when I think about how much more that adds up to at the end of the day or the end of the week or the end of the month, I get really excited. I've learned to live on what I make decently well, but having that extra income will be nice for rainy days or when car insurance is due.

From 9 hours at work where I got to run around and help everyone, to getting a release date to go to guest services, to scoring the most points at mini golf, to dancing till exhaustion with a bunch of friends; today was a pretty darn fantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment