Tuesday, April 17, 2012

April 17th

I actually had an exciting enough day that I have things to talk about, or at least things I'm excited about. Today started with work (I know you're shocked) which was good as always. I got to be in controls which was good for me as I don't get to be in there often enough. And the other positions in my rotation were some of my favorites too. AND I got to open greeter! Opening greeter (the position at the entrance of the ride) is my FAVORITE. The line is short so people often ride a few times and you start to develop a bit of a relationship with them. It's fun to get a banter going. Plus the supervisors and all sorts of people are walking by in the morning and I get to say hi to everyone.

Then after work I got a call that I'm going to have an interview on Thursday for the job I want in guest services. Which is incredibly exciting because this is a job I want (and I think it might pay more which is always a welcome change). I'm a little nervous about the interview because it's a group interview with the supervisors. That makes it different from the interviews I had before, but I'm hoping I make enough of an impression to make the cut. I'll arrive dressed to impress and make sure I have ideas. Listen to others then speak. Try and talk first if I can, and think before I do. I want to show that I can be good at giving people what they want while still doing what I need to (which is what guest services is all about). If I do get the transfer I'll miss the people at Mummy, but I think I'll be happier overall. Plus I can still visit and ride anytime I want. =)

After all that I came home to find Meg on my couch, very sick. That put a bit of a damper on the evening. She had a tough day full of standardized tests and was sick on top of all that. We covered her with blankets, forced her to drink water and let her sleep. While Meg slept I worked on stuff I needed to get done. We decided that it was better that she went home rather than going to dungeons and dragons. Besides her not really being in the mood there is a tiny baby at Dungeons and Dragons and I didn't want him to get sick.

I, however, went to Dungeons and Dragons. For those of you who don't know D&D is a table top role playing game. Basically you have a character sheet with stats, a map, figures to mark your place, and a bunch of dice to make sure you can hit. Tonight we fought a lich king (an undead wizard). It was difficult, but since we had a party of seven we managed. I love the people I game with and the game itself is a blast. I already wrote my character backstory for you earlier this month.

The best part of the day happened after D&D though. Since we killed the lich king in record time we had about an hour extra to waste before the store we play at closed. I've been learning to play Magic the Gathering (a card based battle game). Some of the guys from the game and I played after we finished our D&D session. I lost, not horribly but still. Honestly it's surprising how well I manage to hang in there considered I knew nothing about Magic when I built my deck. I picked the colors (red and blue) cause I like them and most of the cards because they had pretty pictures or cool names. It's amazing I didn't die in turn one. Either because I'm actually good at strategy or because the guys took pity on me (the latter is more likely true), I managed to hang around until almost the end. We played a four way free for all and I made it to the final two. Still, once I got there I was decimated.

On the plus side though, the guys agreed to help me build a new deck that might actually have some sort of playable strategy built in. I'm still sticking with red and blue, but I'm going to try and add cards that build on each other so that I can actually have a deck that gets better as I play more cards. Someday I might even win.

No comments:

Post a Comment