Monday, April 2, 2012

April 2nd

I'm here, I'm going to write 750 words, I've made almost no progress on my script, and I'm watching Hulu as I type this. Oh, and I also worked for ten hours today. I work at Universal Orlando in the Revenge of the Mummy rollercoaster. I check lap bars, load the gates, scan express passes, and greet people at the entrance and unload, basic stuff. It's not exactly the job I dreamed I'd have when I moved to Orlando, but I have a blast. I moved here to work at Universal, and this was the job that was hiring. Even if I'm not in the job I wanted, I love the job I have. I love the people I work with SO much! Seriously, I worked 10 hours today and it felt like nothing. When things are really moving and there are people everywhere, I can't get enough. I love the madness. Even when it's slow I love watching the people that come to our roller coaster. Looking at clothes, hair, styles, behaviors, I find it all fascinating.

Outside of a lot of work I don't have much to report for today, cause I didn't do much else. I worked a little on Ascendio (the Harry Potter conference I'm helping run this summer) and I stared at that script I was going to write (which is still sitting at two pages). I ate a slice of cake, which was yummy, and now I'm sitting here trying to come up with 500 more words so that I can finish this challenge and get that pretty green X on my calendar. The problem is I have no idea what I want those 500 words to be about.

Let's start with TV. I watch a lot of Hulu, it's what I like to put on while I'm doing other work (especially boring typing). I rarely find shows I don't want to at least give a shot. Someday I would love to write for TV (if I can get a good enough idea), and I considered it for my script frenzy, but I'm doing this musical instead. Which may or may not work out depending on how terrible it is. Anyway, back to TV. If it's currently on normal networks (non cable) I've probably watched at least an episode. If it's on Hulu I've likely watched most of the show. I really enjoy a wide variety of shows. Just now I'm watching Don't Trust The B---- In Apartment 23, which is a half hour comedy show about a crazy girl and her apartmate in NYC. It's right up my alley. But the BEST part is that one of the stars is James Van Der Beek (who was Dawson in Dawson's Creek) and he plays himself. I think it makes the whole thing rather hilarious! He complains that people only remember him as Dawson, he gets recognized on the street, etc, but he's still "acting" in a show. It's very meta, and I appreciate that. Plus the entire show is a little crazy, a little wacky, and a lot funny, so I love it.

Outside of the realm of TV (can you believe I have time for other things) I've been reading The Help. I'm not very far in, but it seems to be a fascinating book. I really like the narrative style, and I feel like I'm not only enjoying the story, but learning something as well. Once I finish the book I'm going to reward myself by seeing the movie. I think it will be interesting to see if I find it as powerful as I find the book. I'm also preparing to read the next Vampire Diaries. It's funny because I've read all the books and I've seen the show. I love both incarnations, but they are WILDLY different. It's like they took the names of the book characters and some of their distinguishing features, and then made up an entirely different world/plot. The funny thing is, that while in films about books changes often bother me, I don't bat an eyelash at this. I wonder if it's because they aren't trying to be similar, the TV isn't trying to be an adaptation. I can't be mad that they left things out because they didn't really put anything in. They're separate entities in the truest sense, and I think that's what makes it bearable.

And that's my 750 words for today. This challenge seems to be working well, if only the rest of my goals would follow. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment